Yes, somehow I still had cabbage left. I had chopped up a bunch of cabbage strips for the cole slaw and didn’t need it all. I came across making cabbage chips in my google search for paleo cabbage recipes. Most of the recipes called for a dehydrator or putting cabbage in the over for 4 hours, so I nixed those.
Then I found one that involved putting cabbage in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Sold. Mostly.
Most of the pieces came out more like roasted cabbage than cabbage chips. BUT, it turns out that roasted cabbage is really delicious! If you’ve never done it, it’s really easy, really cheap, and really satisfying.
This is what it cost me:
Again, very much a side dish, but a really inexpensive side dish to add to a piece of grilled chicken breast to complete a meal.
What to buy:
- Head of cabbage
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
What to cut:
- Cabbage into strips
What to cook with:
- A large, shallow baking pan
How to cook it:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut cabbage into strips and put in a bowl.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of olive oil (a splash or two-ish) into the bowl and mix around. Throw in the sea salt based on how salty you want it.
- Pour the cabbage onto the baking pan and spread around evenly.
- Put in the oven for 10 minutes, check it, then put it in for another 10 minutes, or until crispy.
- Eat it!