Since I made that first cabbage stirfry, I’ve had 2/3 of a head of cabbage left and no idea what to do with it. I went hunting for cabbage recipes and they always included some crazy thing like lamb shank or apples or involved stuffing meat in them.
And then I came across, duh, coleslaw. I adapted this recipe from Paleo Porn because I don’t use salt and like things a little more vinegary.
I have to say, cabbage is CHEAP and it GOES FAR!! I also only used 1/4 of the head of cabbage for this recipe and made so much cole slaw.
Cost breakdown is, just wow:
Granted, people often using cole slaw as a side to something meatier, but if you split this batch in 5, which is probably about a cup or so of slaw, you will get full. If you use it as a side, it’s about $.045 for 8 servings and these are very generous servings.
Here’s how I made it:
Stuff to buy:
- red cabbage
- apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
- black pepper
- salt if you want
Stuff to cut:
- red cabbage (just 1/4 of it, chopped, then run through the food processor)
- carrots (1 1/2 big carrots did the trick, also chopped and run through the food processor)
- eggs (boil them hard, then chop them up)
Stuff to make it with:
- really big bowl
- food processor
How to make it:
- Coarsely hop up the red cabbage and carrots.
- Run the red cabbage and carrots through the food processor. Throw them all in the same really big bowl.
- Peel and cut up the eggs a similar size to the cabbage and carrots. Add to the bowl.
- Throw in the apple cider vinegar (I used about 1/4 cup but I like vinegar, you can use half this amount to keep it lighter if you want) and the olive oil (about 1 1/2 tablespoons). Add the spices. Toss it all together.
- Um, that’s it.